An accidental blog

"If God is sovereign, then his lordship must extend over all of life, and it cannot be restricted to the walls of the church or within the Christian orbit." Abraham Kuyper Common Grace 1.1.

Saturday 14 November 2009

A theology "quiz"

Jake Belder tagged me in a facebook quiz - here are my responses:

1) What's your favourite theology book?
Difficult to choose one - but probably Reformational Theology by Gordon Spykman

2) What Christian(s) book has been most influential in your thinking? Why?
Mark Roques and Richard Russell have been very influential in helping me to break out of a dualistic worldview. Two books Transforming Vision by Walsh and Middleton and Creation Regained by Al Wolters.

3) Where do you attend church?
St Mike’s, Stoke Gifford Bristol

4) What is your denominational affiliation?
Anglican - but not by choice!

5) Who is your favourite theologian/Christian philosopher?
Abraham Kuyper, Herman Dooyeweerd, D H Th Vollenhoven, Lesslie Newbigin, N. T. Wright, Gordon Spykman, Roy Clouser, B J van der Walt et al.

6) Who is your favourite preacher?
I don’t get off much on preaching - I’d rather read a book. I used to enjoy C J Mahaney in my house church days - I had loads of his tapes. I enjoy listening to Tim Keller; and Mark Roques is always good value. Si our vicar isn't too bad either :)

7) What is your calling as a Christian (if you've figured that out!)?
There are many - husband and father primarily.

8) What spiritual virtue do you desire most?
‘Spiritual’? Not sure I understand the question, all of life is spiritual! Perhaps a lack of pedantry?

9) What is the greatest challenge to the church today?
To fully understand and implement the implications of the all-embracing kingdom of God.

10) What bothers you most about the local church?
The fact that many people don’t get the full implications of the gospel.

11) What encourages you most about the local church?
The potential for the kingdom

12) Pre, post, or Amil?
Amill unless I read Revelation (then I'm historic pre-mill - definitely not dispensational)

13) Antichrist...past or future?
Yes.

14) If you could only keep 5 Christian books with you on a desert island, what would they be?
Bible
Concordance
Herman Dooyeweerd’s New Critique of Theoretical Thought - in case I’m on the island for a long time.
Kuyper’s Principles of Calvinism - for inspiration
Herman Bavinck’s complete works - I’d love to have the time to read it!

15) What got you thinking theologically?
Reading George Eldon Ladd’s The Presence of the Future - I didn’t know theology could be so exciting!

No comments: