Ian Barbour Ethics in an Age of Technology (The Gifford lectures 1990-91) (London: SCM, 1992)
Examines the ethical challenges that technology confronts us with.
Andrew Basden Philosophical Frameworks for Understanding Information Systems (IGI Publishing, 2008)
Develops a Dooyeweerdian approach to information systems - essential reading!
Allen Emerson and Cheryl Forbes The Invasion of the Computer Culture (Leicester: IVP, 1990)
An examination of some of the key questions the computer culture has forced upon us. They also offer practical ways that computers can be used without being seduced by the bad. This should be required reading for all Christians who use computers!
Jacques Ellul Technological Society (London: Jonathon Cape, 1965)
A pessimistic view of technology. Sees technology as a product of the fall. An important work nonetheless.
Allan Jiggins Human Future: Living as Christians in a High-Tech World (London: Scripture Union, 1988)
A useful introductory book.
David Lyon The Silicon society (Tring: Lion, 1986)
An insightful Christian critique of the computer culture.
Albert Borgmann Power Failure: Christianity in the Culture of Technology. (Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos, 2003)
Church of England BSR Cybernauts Awake
Monsma, Stephen V (ed). Responsible Technology: A Christian Perspective. Eerdmans, 1986.
An indispensable book. If you only read one book on technology it should be this one!
Mitcham, Carl and Jim Grote, eds. Theology and Technology: Essays in Christian Analysis and Exegesis (New York: University Press of America, 1984)
Parker Rossman and Richard Kirby Christians and the World of Computers: Professional and Social Excellence in the Computer World (London: SCM, 1990)
A study book; each chapter comes with suggestions for study and reading.
David Pullinger Information Technology and Cyberspace: Extra-connected living. (London, Darton, Longman & Todd, 2001)
Carl Mitcham and Jim Groote (eds) Theology and Technology: Essays in Christian Analysis and Exegesis (Lanham: University Press of America, 1984)
Has an extensive annotated bibliography, as well as containing useful articles by Ellul and Schurmann among others.
Hendrick van Riessen The Society of the Future (Presbyterian and Reformed, no date)
- (1977, 1983) Reflections on the Technological Society. Toronto: Wedge Pub.
- (1980) Technology and the Future -- A Philosophical Challenge. Toronto: Wedge Pub
- (1990) The Future: Our Choice or Gods Gift? Exile Publications, Wellington, New Zealand.
- (1994, 1995) Perspectives on Technology and Culture. IRS Press, South Africa/ Dordt Press, USA.
- (1995) The Technological Culture between the Times -A Christian Philosophical Assessment of Contemporary Society. Dordt Press.
- (2000) Faith and Hope in Technology. Toronto, Canada, 2003.
- (2005) The Technological World Picture and an Ethics of Responsibility: Struggles in the Ethics of Technology. Dordt College Press.
Schuurman writes from a reformational perspective; his books are essential reading for all those who want to see what a Christian approach looks like.
Schultze, Quentin. Habits of the High-Tech Heart: Living Virtuously in the Information Age. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.
Chapters in booksEgbert Schuurman:
- (1984) A Christian Philosophical Perspective on Technology. In C. Mitcham and J. Grote (eds), Theology and Technology, New York: University Press of America, pp. 107- 123.
- (1987) The Modern Babylonian Culture. In P. Durbin (ed.) Technology and Responsibility. Dordrecht: Reidel, pp. 229-243
- (1992) Crisis in Agriculture: Philosophical Perspective on the relation between Agriculture and Nature. In F. Ferr (ed.) Research in Philosophy and Technology -- Technology and the Environment London: Jai Press, pp. 191-213;
Macht's Philosophy of technology website
A list of online technology articles
Society, Religion and Technology Project (Church of Scotland)
Faith, Science and Technology (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America)Science and Christian Faith: Technoculture and the Future (Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary)
A website in development by a Canadian pioneer in the relation of theology and information technology.
- 1999. On the ontological status of virtual environments
- 1999. A new framework for sustainability
- 2001. Beyond emancipation
- 2001. A philosophical underpinning for IT evaluation
- 2002.The critical theory of Herman Dooyeweerd?
- 2002. A Philosophical Underpinning For ISD
- 2003. with A. Trevor Wood-Harper A Philosophical Enrichment of CATWOE
- 2003.Enriching critical theory
- 2003.Levels of guidance
- 2004. Emancipation as if it mattered
- 2004. On Appealing to Philosophy in Information Systems
- 2005. Enriching humanist thought
- 2006. Information systems as a life-world
- 2007. 'Fresh light thrown on the Chinese room'
- 2007. A brief overview of Dooyeweerd's philosophy
- 2007. Frameworks for understanding IS and ICT
- 2008. Understanding everyday experience and use of facebook and games
Steve Bishop 'Towards a Christian approach to technology' Spectrum 23 (1991) 9-15
Steve Bishop 'The religious dimension of technology' RE Today 10 (3) 1993
David Lyon 'From Pacman to Homelink: Information technology and social ethics' Faith and Thought vol. 111 (1) (April 1985) 12-21
Paul Marshall 'Modern technology: idol or divine gift?' Evangelical Review of Theology vol. 10 (1986) 258-69
David Pullinger Information technology: the ethical task. Gospel and Culture Newsletter. 21 (2004)
David Pullinger The impact of information technology on human identity The Bible in Transmission Summer 2003
- (1979) Technology in a christian-philosophical perspective (ICS - republished in (1984))
- (1980) Futurology or eschatology Vanguard 10 (1): 8-11
- (1983) Information society: cultural impoverishment or enrichment
- (1993) Technicism and the dynamics of creation. Philosophia Reformata 58: 185-191.A confrontation with technicism as the spiritual climate of the West Westminster Theological Journal 58 (1): 64-84.
- (1997) Philosophical and technological problems of technicism and genetic engineeringPhilosophical and Ethical Problems of Genetic Engineering Techne, Electronic Journal of The society for Philosophy and Technology, vol.3, no. 1,1997.
- (2000) Beyond the empirical turn: responsible technology
- (2002) The ethics of technology: technological worldview, pictures, motives, values and normstechnology paper presented at Ecology, thology and Judeo-Christian ethics conference
- Technology, genetic maniplulation, and the future [excerpts from "The Future: Our Choice or God's Gift?"] Public Justice Reports
- (2005) The ethics of responsibility paper presented at IS2005 Ethics: Person, Practices and Society Conference
Steven H. VanderLeest Teaching Justice by Emphasizing the Non-neutrality of Technology JECB 10 (2) 2006:111-128
Quentin J. Schultze Faith, Education and Communication Technology JECB 8 (1) 2004: 9-21