An accidental blog

"If God is sovereign, then his lordship must extend over all of life, and it cannot be restricted to the walls of the church or within the Christian orbit." Abraham Kuyper Common Grace 1.1.

Tuesday 27 February 2007

Plantinga on Dawkins's God delusion

Alvin Plantinga has a review of Dawkins’s God Delusion here.


He writes:


Now despite the fact that this book is mainly philosophy, Dawkins is not a philosopher (he’s a biologist). Even taking this into account, however, much of the philosophy he purveys is at best jejune. You might say that some of his forays into philosophy are at best sophomoric, but that would be unfair to sophomores; the fact is (grade inflation aside), many of his arguments would receive a failing grade in a sophomore philosophy class. This, combined with the arrogant, smarter-than-thou tone of the book, can be annoying. I shall put irritation aside, however and do my best to take Dawkins’ main argument seriously.

He concludes:



The God Delusion is full of bluster and bombast, but it really doesn’t give even the slightest reason for thinking belief in God mistaken, let alone a "delusion."


The naturalism that Dawkins embraces, furthermore, in addition to its intrinsic unloveliness and its dispiriting conclusions about human beings and their place in the universe, is in deep self-referential trouble. There is no reason to believe it; and there is excellent reason to reject it.


1 comment:

Billy Bee said...

I've seen this Dawkin guy's short interview video clip in answersingenesis.com - the website that eventually led me to my interest in worldview issues. God bless that website.

Oh btw, thank you for your comment! I thought since I'm really new to all this blogging stuff, I can just sit here in my small corner doing things nobody knows.
How did you find out about my linking to your blog in such a short time?

Anyways, I'll keep my eyes open for your blogs for now... it's not the time for me to ask questions yet. I'll look and listen for now :)

God bless you!