12 A New Dispensation
- The flood altered the state of affairs on the earth and it now displays a different character.
- The change comes from the Lord’s decree.
- The flood manifested God’s wrath but pointed to his grace.
- This grace was not special grace but common grace.
- It was not a restrictive grace - it included all those that had breath.
- The post-flood situation continues to his day.
He then summarises the main points:
1. The human race not just a few people are reused from the flood.
2. The earth is still the same though it has been changed by the catastrophe of the flood.
3. The atmosphere of the earth was changed.
4. The blessings are not jet for the church but for all humanity and the animals.
5. The relationship between humans and animals and the earth is now regulated.
6. A change tok place in the life of humanity itself. Humans didn’t live for as long.
7. God instituted government for an orderly human life and was designed to thwart the outbreak of violence.