An accidental blog

"If God is sovereign, then his lordship must extend over all of life, and it cannot be restricted to the walls of the church or within the Christian orbit." Abraham Kuyper Common Grace 1.1.

Friday 1 March 2013

Jamie Smith interviews Nicholas Wolterstorff

There is an excellent interview of Nicholas Wolterstorff by Jamie Smith in the recent issue of Comment.

They discuss the changes that have taken place within philosophy in North America, which is largely dominated by Christians ush as Wolterstorff, Plantinga, Stump and Van Inwagen.

JS: So it was not like there was this group of Christian
philosophers in some smoky backroom who were sitting around hatching a
plot to change the field?



NW
: No. We began with much more modest ideas than that. I was a graduate of Calvin College, a convicted Kuyperian. So I did not think that philosophy was some sort of "neutral" enterprise. I thought one engaged in philosophy qua Christian, or qua materialist, or whatever. My hope was that there would be space for me, and friends of mine, to engage in philosophy qua Christians. I don't think we visualized much more than just having space to do that.


No comments: