An accidental blog

"If God is sovereign, then his lordship must extend over all of life, and it cannot be restricted to the walls of the church or within the Christian orbit." Abraham Kuyper Common Grace 1.1.

Sunday 9 April 2006

Brian Appleyard: Religion who needs it?

Brian Appleyard, author of Understanding the Present and a journalist for the Sunday Times, has written an intersting article in the newstatesman: Religion: who needs it? He concludes:

I would guess that at the Old Bailey we mostly swore by God because, in the face of all that sombre ceremony, we quietly accepted the demand - however unreasonable - that we belong to something larger than ourselves. I'd like to say it was a fleeting thing, scarcely worth mentioning: a mere habit, a reflex, perhaps even an embarrassment. I'd like to, but I'm afraid I can't.
The same issue has an article by Lewis Wolpert: My evangelical son and me.

No comments: