An accidental blog

"If God is sovereign, then his lordship must extend over all of life, and it cannot be restricted to the walls of the church or within the Christian orbit." Abraham Kuyper Common Grace 1.1.

Thursday 10 March 2005

High-minded machines

I received Steve Talbott's newsletter Net future today. In it he had this interesting piece:


High-Minded Machines

Consistent with the general deterioration of the environment for online exchange, NetFuture is increasingly waylaid by spam blockers. For example, some readers did not receive the last issue because (so the spam blocker blushingly informed me) the word "orgy" was used. A little surprised by the accusation of indecency on my part, I went to check, and it turned out I had referred to an "orgy of self-congratulation and utopian prediction" within the Human Genome Project. As I was eflecting upon my transgression and the spam blocker's display of programmed pure- mindedness, it suddenly struck me: Ray Kurzweil was right after all! We *are* entering an age of spiritual machines. It's just that he forgot to tell us they would be dumb as hell.

No comments: